Where my dogs at?

JLA

Administrator
Staff member
Although my wife handles the majority of the day to day homeschooling, I handle math and help her out as needed. I know I'm not the only one and I'm sure there are plenty of Dads out there who take it even further and are the primary teacher in their homeschool. This forum is for us too, so let's keep this section of the site busy along with the rest of it!

I know that as a homeschool family, we try to take every opportunity to teach: vacation, elections, car shopping, etc. There's plenty of math and engineering to be learned when it comes to car shopping, for example, which happens to be one of my favorite things to do. Unfortuantely, it's mostly "window shopping", but it creates some great opportunities to talk horsepower, displacement, drag coefficients, and so much more with my kids. The more we can associate learning with real world products and situations, the more everyone gets into it. Plus, it shows some real world applications for what may otherwise be thought of as "boring school", and hopefully those lessons stick with them in the long run.

JohnNotgrass

Notgrass History
My wife and I share teaching responsibilities for our boys. We are part of a small learning community, too.

You are right that learning can happen all the time and everywhere. Taking responsibility for the education of our children brings challenges, but it brings great opportunities, too.

Fpileggi

Hello, my name is Frank. I'm a proud father of a wonderful 7 year old girl named Faith. I have been doing all of her homeschooling since kindergarten, she is in 2nd grade now. I love every minute of it and yes, I too use every opportunity and circumstance as a lesson. It's funny though because we may be out grocery shopping and someone will ask my daughter why aren't you in school. We say she is homeschooled and they give me a look of shame. I am proud that Faith says it with honor, I just hope she continues that way. I reinforce why being homeschooled is such a highlight and she agrees it's sad that people look at it so negatively.

JohnNotgrass

Notgrass History
It's a shame that some people choose not to be respectful and encouraging, especially to a child!

Hello, my name is Frank. I'm a proud father of a wonderful 7 year old girl named Faith. I have been doing all of her homeschooling since kindergarten, she is in 2nd grade now. I love every minute of it and yes, I too use every opportunity and circumstance as a lesson. It's funny though because we may be out grocery shopping and someone will ask my daughter why aren't you in school. We say she is homeschooled and they give me a look of shame. I am proud that Faith says it with honor, I just hope she continues that way. I reinforce why being homeschooled is such a highlight and she agrees it's sad that people look at it so negatively.

HillsDad

Hello fellow dads,

I'm a stay-at-home dad, in charge of homeschooling my two boys (6 & 8). My wife has the career. We've been on this journey since fall of 2015. Although it is work, it's not as challenging as I initially imagined it would be.

So being a homeschool dad, I feel like a bit of an anomaly - like a white whale. Hopefully this forum will allow me to connect with similar dads. Nothing like going to a homeschool gathering and being the only male above the age of 10. My boys and I have gone to a few of those bc I want them to meet other homeschoolers and maybe make a new friend. But I really have no interest in hanging out with all the moms. So our attendance has been sporadic and my kids haven't made any new friends this way.

But I'm here and looking forward to possibility of meeting some other full time homeschool dads!

Fpileggi

Hi. Welcome. I know exactly what you mean. Originally I thought it was critical for my 7 year old daughter to meet and make friends that were homeschooled too. I realized, she is very happy, she is learning well, and really enjoys what she is doing. So I then realized forcing ourselves to mom socials doesnt really have to be.
I'm a Dean of a local college and have been teaching for 20 years now. The biggest thing I look for is if the student enjoys learning or is being forced to do it because they have too. So when I thought about going to these gatherings, I realized my daughter was kind of forced to make friends rather than just letting life happen. Now we take one day a week and go somewhere, museum, playground, activity centers and let whatever happen...happen. One of the things I love most is that she is so independent. I know influences will come in time and we will handle them as they come, but she is such an old soul in a 7 year old body. I really believe it's because she enjoys being not alone per say but alone in her ways of thinking, being and processing.
Ok I think I went a bit long with this post, but loving that it exist!!!