What's your best suggestion for teaching cursive?

EightGreatKids

I always just purchase a cursive handwriting workbook (usually $5 at Costco) and offer my children a reward (a small lego set or an American Girl doll outfit or something like that) for a finished book. I let them finish it as quickly or as slowly as they decide. We don't really do a formal study.

Britmum

I have the Simply Charlotte Mason print to cursive book and then I printed off a different one that was free online once they were done. (Sidenote, I love having a laser printer!)

LCredmama

I just bought a workbook, too. Plus one of those corkboard borders with the alphabet in cursive on it for easy reference. Now I incorporate cursive into Bible study- they have to copy their verses in cursive. It's good practice.

Kdg

The workbook we had only had about half a page of writing, only the letter then a sentence. When she is finished with that page I write on a piece of notebook paper the letter and a word and let her practice. We work on each letter until she is ready to move on to the next letter. I also make her write her full name each day.

lilbearsmama

We're using the Simply Charlotte Mason book "Print to Cursive" but I write it out in a notebook. Redundant, I know, but he has trouble doing the transition from one to the other unless he, well, uses regular paper. He's slowly finding cursive easier, so it works. Plus his handwriting is so much better in cursive! He watches me copy the models, like I did my grandma when she taught me, and then I watch him.

Klevesque

We use Zaner Bloser workbooks. Evan Moor is good too!

Mandy2545

My son really likes the Abeka cursive workbooks. His third grade one is about animals, and after he practices the daily letters/words there is a paragraph to copy about different animals. He loves reading about the animals, and he records his paragraph into his science journal. It also teaches glossary usage. This recommendation is kiddo approved!