what do you use for phonics?

clarissarwest

Please share what you use for phonics and why you love it. If you are looking for phonics, then check the replies on this thread for ideas.

We started with Abeka k5 and 1 and it was solid but seemed to have a lot of "busy work", so we then changed to The Phonics Road to Spelling & Reading level 1 for my son's 2nd-grade year. We loved it so much so we continued with levels 2 & 3 before he moved on to a different program for language arts. The Phonics Road combines phonics, spelling, reading, and writing so it can be used from K-5 or with higher grades if needed. I personally learned a lot from it!

It is not really large-family-friendly so I switched to another similar program called Spell to Write & Read and used that with a few of my younger kids for a couple of years. Also not great for multiple kids at different levels.

So, when I added two more children to our homeschool in 2019, I decided to switch and use Master Books phonics for them and we are enjoying it! It works well with our large-family life.

Sarah-MJFL

We are lovers of All About Reading, plus adding in Explode the Code books.

I'm glad to hear MB is large family friendly. I'm going to go have a look. ;)

MichelleFitz

I went through so many and have 4 kids 6-7 years old who needed to learn to read simultaneously. Eventually I decided to go back to the old way of doing things because 100 years ago our country had a 90% literacy rate. Long story short I bought a book by Ruth Beechick called the three R’s and we were off and running. Homeschool was fun again and I felt prepared after just reading the first 15pages let alone the whole book. We use Mc Guffy readers and explode the code along with anything and everything the kids want to read. You can do this mama and you don’t have to spend a ton of money either. There’s no such thing as Over-exposure to letter sounds although it does make thing easier 💕

EightGreatKids

I've used Explode the Code and made-up games, plus lots of phonetic readers with all of my kids.