Too Many Cookbooks

Sarah-MJFL

Online or physical organization?

I've pretty much gotten rid of most cookbooks. Like you, I just search online. For any tried and true recipes, I do have them written down, but they are in a very unorganized pile in my pantry (consisting of index cards, recipe cards, scrap paper, etc). Not very organized. :(

deliberatemom

I have condensed my favourite recipes into my own cookbook ( a binder with recipes added into it). I'm currently working on the project of typing everything up into CreateMyCookbook (so it looks pretty). I only add a few recipes a week but hopefully by the end of 2020 it will be done! :)

BethanyL

I have a lot of cookbooks, but they were my mother's so it's hard for me to get rid of them. I would like to go through them and pick out my favorites and combine them and possibly store the originals somewhere since they have sentimental value to me.

Meredith

I just cleaned out a cupboard with more cookbooks than I care to admit, and whenever I need a recipe, I usually just search it online. What are your tips for organizing the cookbook conundrum?
I am the world's biggest packrat when it comes to books. I bought myself a small bookcase and all the cookbooks have to fit on it! Okay, right now there is some double stacking, but that does help me to weed it down. :)

Meredith

Online or physical organization?

I've pretty much gotten rid of most cookbooks. Like you, I just search online. For any tried and true recipes, I do have them written down, but they are in a very unorganized pile in my pantry (consisting of index cards, recipe cards, scrap paper, etc). Not very organized. :(
haha :) I have a tiny basket for recipes I print out to use once but think--oh, I'll use that in a few weeks. It's overflowing and messy. Sigh. But, what cracks me up in cards and cookbooks is all the food stains. I once read advice to babysitters that said look through the cookbooks and fix the recipe on the page with the most stains. :) :)

Sarah

I've gotten rid of most of my cookbooks since I wasn't using them much anymore. Now, every time I find a recipe I like and want to make again online, I print it out and put it in my recipe binder. It's just a large notebook (maybe 3 inches?) with dividers for diffrent categories.

EightGreatKids

I had one really basic cookbook I loved and used all the time when I first got married, but when my kiddos got old enough to cook they ruined it. I replaced it and they ruined it again. I've got all my favorites pretty much memorized anyway, so I stopped fighting the inevitable and never replaced it. I'm a chronic dejunker anyway, so it's better this way. I've typed recipes I really love into a Google Doc, which I can search with control F, and nowdays that's almost all I use. My mom didn't cook and neither of my Grandma's really did either, so I never inherited family recipes. With a large family and because I'm so frugal, I cook a TON.

I just cleaned out a cupboard with more cookbooks than I care to admit, and whenever I need a recipe, I usually just search it online. What are your tips for organizing the cookbook conundrum?

When our daughter was 13, we began compiling a cookbook for her. She turns 20 his spring, ad we are still adding to her book. I has bee more than I imagined it could be. She is a better cook. In fact, she is sometimes better than me. :D I have healthier recipes,or the most part, because we worked on them together. She is much wiser than I was at hat age, too. We even did a kitchen chemistry class together when she was still homeschooling. We have a 3-ring notebook with dividers and page protectors for the recipes that we are sill tweaking. Once she is satisfied, one of us writes the recipe by hand into a blank cookbook that will go with her when she leaves home. Then the recipe is removed from the 3-ring binder. The binder is or recipes we are still tweaking or want to try.

The regular meals in our repertoire are written on magnets. We arrange those on the fridge on a monthly grid. Two other sons also help with cooking the meals, so we do keep a collection of cookbooks above the fridge. The magnets are easy to switch in case we change our minds or do not have an ingredient. That method does help me cook and shop, though.

When our daughter was 13, we began compiling a cookbook for her. She turns 20 his spring, ad we are still adding to her book. I has bee more than I imagined it could be. She is a better cook. In fact, she is sometimes better than me. :D I have healthier recipes,or the most part, because we worked on them together. She is much wiser than I was at hat age, too. We even did a kitchen chemistry class together when she was still homeschooling. We have a 3-ring notebook with dividers and page protectors for the recipes that we are sill tweaking. Once she is satisfied, one of us writes the recipe by hand into a blank cookbook that will go with her when she leaves home. Then the recipe is removed from the 3-ring binder. The binder is or recipes we are still tweaking or want to try.

The regular meals in our repertoire are written on magnets. We arrange those on the fridge on a monthly grid. Two other sons also help with cooking the meals, so we do keep a collection of cookbooks above the fridge. The magnets are easy to switch in case we change our minds or do not have an ingredient. That method does help me cook and shop, though.
Recipes on magnets - that's a great idea!

haha :) I have a tiny basket for recipes I print out to use once but think--oh, I'll use that in a few weeks. It's overflowing and messy. Sigh. But, what cracks me up in cards and cookbooks is all the food stains. I once read advice to babysitters that said look through the cookbooks and fix the recipe on the page with the most stains. :) :)
Love the idea of making what has the most stains. We have an old Betty Crocker cookbook that fits the description. It practically falls open to the Christmas cookie section when we pull it out :)

Seclark

When I realized I only cooked from (and my kids only enjoyed meals from ;)) certain cookbooks, I purged all of the rest. My go-to cookbooks are the SkinnyTaste One and Done/SkinnyTaste Fast and Slow; I have a couple baking cookbooks that I held on to as well.

Catalina29

Could you post a picture? I've thought about something like this.