Share your favorite math curriculum!

clarissarwest

I would love if everyone shared what they have used for math and the one they like best, why, etc.'

We started with Abeka with my oldest, then tried Math U See and A+ online before trying Master Books when he was in 5th grade. He used MB for 5 & 6 and then jumped to Teaching Textbooks 8.
I have been using MB with my younger children and we have used levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 more than once now and still like it best!

Mandy2545

Hi, Clarissa! BTW, I enjoy your emails! Anyway, I made the mistake (hopefully I'm not the only one) of buying too much curriculum. It's our first year, and everything looked good! Anyway, we wound up with Abeka grade 3 and Master Books. Then, Hess Un-Academy recommended CTC Math. I want to give her a shout out for that! It's awesome! So, what we have wound up doing is CTC everyday (I love that I can set what percentage he has to get correct to pass the lesson). Then, for review we do a page out of Abeka twice a week and a lesson out of Master Books twice a week. It's working like a charm! It's really not as much as it sounds like. I love that Abeka keeps reminding them of all they've learned during the year. It's so easy to forget! Abeka just wasn't working on a day to day basis. He was starting to dread math, but now he's back to loving it. God bless!

momschool

For 5th grade and up I really like Saxon! I love how each problem has where it was taught so my kids can go back if they can't remember how to do it.

For the younger grades... I'm still struggling. I am using "the good and beautiful" math K right now and while I like it on the whole, it is a little pricey for our current budget, and it feels really wordy so I have to read it at least 3 times to make sure I understand before teaching it (because my guy doesn't like the stories).

clarissarwest

Mandy, great to see you here! :) That's what I love about homeschooling, WE get to do what works best for our kids! I have heard great things about CTC Math!

Hi, Clarissa! BTW, I enjoy your emails! Anyway, I made the mistake (hopefully I'm not the only one) of buying too much curriculum. It's our first year, and everything looked good! Anyway, we wound up with Abeka grade 3 and Master Books. Then, Hess Un-Academy recommended CTC Math. I want to give her a shout out for that! It's awesome! So, what we have wound up doing is CTC everyday (I love that I can set what percentage he has to get correct to pass the lesson). Then, for review we do a page out of Abeka twice a week and a lesson out of Master Books twice a week. It's working like a charm! It's really not as much as it sounds like. I love that Abeka keeps reminding them of all they've learned during the year. It's so easy to forget! Abeka just wasn't working on a day to day basis. He was starting to dread math, but now he's back to loving it. God bless!

clarissarwest

I really enjoyed Saxon math myself when I was in a private Christian school for 5, 6, and then 9th grades but my kids just weren't thrilled when I tried to use it with them. ;) I had planned to use it for upper grades and collected the curriculum via used book sales, etc. but then resold it after it didn't work for my kids.

I really recommend Master Books Math Lessons for a Living Education for grades 1-6! :) Gentle yet effective lessons.

For 5th grade and up I really like Saxon! I love how each problem has where it was taught so my kids can go back if they can't remember how to do it.

For the younger grades... I'm still struggling. I am using "the good and beautiful" math K right now and while I like it on the whole, it is a little pricey for our current budget, and it feels really wordy so I have to read it at least 3 times to make sure I understand before teaching it (because my guy doesn't like the stories).

Mandy2545

This is a tad bit off subject, but have you tried edhelper.com? My mom recommended it, and so far I am really loving it. The basic subscription is right at $20 per year. The upgraded subscription is $39 per year. I'm loving having worksheets available for every subject and grade. There are all kinds of literature studies, and my favorite feature is that you can plug in your own spelling/vocabulary to make custom puzzles and word finds. The upgraded subscription has tons of special education features. I know you can find a lot of these things for free, but It's nice to find everything on one website!

clarissarwest

I haven't. I will have to check it out, thanks!

This is a tad bit off subject, but have you tried edhelper.com? My mom recommended it, and so far I am really loving it. The basic subscription is right at $20 per year. The upgraded subscription is $39 per year. I'm loving having worksheets available for every subject and grade. There are all kinds of literature studies, and my favorite feature is that you can plug in your own spelling/vocabulary to make custom puzzles and word finds. The upgraded subscription has tons of special education features. I know you can find a lot of these things for free, but It's nice to find everything on one website!

Sarah-MJFL

We are a Teaching Textbooks family. With 8 kids, it just makes my life so much easier. No teaching on my part and no record keeping. I (or my husband) just keeps track of progress and if they are having trouble in any area and then we step in to help them through it.

EightGreatKids

We are big Saxon fans over here, but I gamify it a lot in the younger grades. And I supplement the Calculus course to adequately prep my kiddos for the AP Calc test.