New to Homeschooling a Preschooler

LarsonPartyof8

Hello! I am new to homeschooling. I have 3 older kids that attend school, but we started our newly turned 4 year old with homeschooling this year. At the beginning of the year, she LOVED it and had fun. We used the easy peasy homeschool curriculum along with a few others added in. I do NOT push "school" on her as she is still young. She is in the beginning stages of wanting to learn to read so we also have the Teach your child to read in 20 lessons book I believe, but it hasn't garnered much interest in her yet.
Anyhow, she LOVES to learn through crafts, but I am having a hard time with finding crafts that are 1. easy to assemble with few items 2. low cost 3. more hands on for her and less hands on for me.
I also should note I have a 2 year old and a baby due in February.

I guess I am looking for tips and tricks and any advice! I also have a hard time planning things to make it more "fun".

Carla

Congratulations!! I have a 4 yo who loves crafts too! (She also has 3 older siblings and 1 younger!) Usually I just give her supplies and let her go crazy. ;) She loves getting ideas from things like Creative Galaxy or ABCMouse.com and taking a shot at them! Paper plate and toilet paper tube crafts are also big hits with her! I like to read a book and do a related craft for preK--I have a whole curriculum (HEEP) that is based around that--but if we have a busy day or don't get to it, I remind us both that it's okay!

I know you've done the newborn thing a few times too ;), so I'll just tell you my biggest advice is to give yourself and your kids lots of grace. It's okay to miss school time for a week straight or watch "learning shows" every day for a month while you get past those first few weeks! 💗 For a couple months, actually making time for your 2& 4 year olds is more important than doing school every day.

Hugs!! And congrats again!! And let us know how everything goes next month!! 💗

FLTerri

Congratulations on homeschooling and on the new baby. :)

I loved using "busy boxes" when my girls were little. Can you make up a bunch of those ahead of time before baby is born? Something that she can grab and use on her own?

Some ideas that come to mind are:
Sorting objects like little counting bears
Threading projects like those Melissa and Doug lacing toys
Sensory play - push pipe cleaners through straws
Magnetic letters on a tile board (or refrigerator!)

BeckyW

I'm currently homeschooling a preschool boy, and occasionally his toddler brother, age 2.5. We also have a baby who was born right at the beginning of the usual school year. I'll admit that I'm more craft oriented anyway, so one of the things I've been doing with him is assembling felt animals for each letter of the alphabet. I prepped the kits while I was still pregnant, but a simpler version would be to print the templates and let her color them, and maybe cut the easier shapes if she wants scissor practice. I found the free templates at a site called Wildflower Ramblings.

Aside from that, I just try to keep open access to coloring supplies and playdough. I often have to help with the setup and cleanup, but that usually keeps my boys peacefully occupied for at least a solid 20 minutes. Which is very helpful for when I'm trying to get the baby fed or napping!

deliberatemom

I had a lot of open ended activities on hand for my youngest. Here are some examples:
- playdough / clay
- crayons and paper
- construction paper pieces and glue sticks (to make mosaics)

We read a lot of books too. Preschool picture books are wonderful launching pads for curriculum/deeper learning. For instance, I might read "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats and then we do activities such as catching snowflakes on a black construction paper and looking at it under a magnifying glass; measuring depth of snow; making snow "taffy"; melting a cup of snow and comparing the measurement of its solid as opposed to liquid state; going for a snowy nature walk; introducing additional books and resources about snow...

Preschool is my favourite age to work with / teach! So much fun! Enjoy!