Looking for a good history curriculum

Jennifergh04

Our current history curriculum is so boring even I dread it! My daughter is not really learning and or interested at all. I need recommendations on something to help make this interesting for her and to make it come alive!

HillsDad

We changed a few months ago from a classical type curriculum to Notgrass. Our Star Spangled Story is the name of their elementary course. Ideas at the end of each lesson and unit help make the material more alive. I'm sure they have examples on their website. You will also get a CD with applicable songs and poems with a book to read along. Also included is a handy timeline book. Sometimes my 8 yr old son looks through it for fun. Lastly, it comes with a workbook that often includes drawing and coloring activities, as well as unit reviews (quizzes).

I still read most of each lesson but my children enjoy the switch.

Penny Mayes

I'm so sorry your daughter is having trouble with history! So I'm blowing my own horn here, but making your history curriculum come alive is what we do at Take Time for Art. We show art images, maps, photographs, and architecture into the story of history that we tell through streaming video. We do it in an entertaining way that captures your child's attention and helps them have fun. AND we do step-by-step hands-on art projects based on the art history we have seen in the videos. We have simple versions and more complicated versions of our products so that families can do these together. You can check us out at taketimeforart.com.

Dessa

I'm so sorry your daughter is having trouble with history! So I'm blowing my own horn here, but making your history curriculum come alive is what we do at Take Time for Art. We show art images, maps, photographs, and architecture into the story of history that we tell through streaming video. We do it in an entertaining way that captures your child's attention and helps them have fun. AND we do step-by-step hands-on art projects based on the art history we have seen in the videos. We have simple versions and more complicated versions of our products so that families can do these together. You can check us out at taketimeforart.com.
I follow you guys on instagram, so I find seeing you on this forum to be quite exciting.

Penny Mayes

I follow you guys on instagram, so I find seeing you on this forum to be quite exciting.
Thank you so much for following us! I am so pleased to be here!

Klevesque

We follow a literature based curriculum. We currently are using Build Your Library. Next year we will be switching to Bookshark as it follows a 4 day week schedule. That's a better fit for us since Friday's are co-op days.

JohnNotgrass

Notgrass History
We changed a few months ago from a classical type curriculum to Notgrass. Our Star Spangled Story is the name of their elementary course . . .
So glad you've enjoyed Our Star-Spangled Story! Notgrass History has curriculum for middle school and high school in addition to elementary. All of our courses include primary sources, literature recommendations, and hands-on activities.

clarissarwest

I love a "living books/literature" type of history program. I have only tried Tapestry of Grace for this, but LOVE it for history. I know there are others that are based on great books, too!

Sarah-MJFL

Our current history curriculum is so boring even I dread it! My daughter is not really learning and or interested at all. I need recommendations on something to help make this interesting for her and to make it come alive!

How old is your daughter?

Sarah-MJFL

We use Notgrass history mainly, but when I feel we are in a slump or need a bit more, I really like Home School in the Woods.

Home School in the Woods incorporates lapbooks, books/reading, projects and activities; we really enjoy using their resources when we need a change of pace. Most of their products are for grades 3-8.

Here is a look into the New World Explorers unit study - https://www.myjoyfilledlife.com/studying-american-history-homeschool/