Laser vs ecotank help!

momschool

I need to make a decision and need some advice!

Currently I have a laser color printer but it needs new drums and with my printing record I will replace them every 1.7-2 years, they cost about 3/4th what the printer itself did. i LOVE my printer for the most part, it prints images clearly and crisp, I can even use regular cheap 20lb paper and it doesn't show through. I get generic toner for about $36 2x a year and print roughly 7,000 pages a year.

On the other hand I like the idea of an ecotank, I could get ink for only $40-50 a year and not have to replace any drums! But I won't be able to use 20lb paper as it bleeds through a bit more. Also the printer I would get is $349 and my laser cost me $250 so it definitely costs more. However, even with more expensive paper the print cost is half what my laser is.

Basically I'm stumped. I know the laser is faster by quite a bit but the other is cheaper by quite a bit (per page anyways), is that worth the switch though?

Aunt Kim

If the print quality is the same, I suppose it would depend on how much print speed and paper weight/cost matters to you. I don't usually have to have 150 pages printed in the next 10 minutes, so if it takes a little more time it doesn't bother me for significant financial savings. Other people prefer speed over a little more cost.
Also, if there is a noticeable difference in print quality or varying paper weights/types (I don't know if there is or not), that would have to be a consideration as well. Do you use your printer for photographs? Card stock? Iron-on transfers? Things to sell or give as gifts? That's where print quality would matter to me.
I hope you figure out what works best for you!

momschool

If the print quality is the same, I suppose it would depend on how much print speed and paper weight/cost matters to you. I don't usually have to have 150 pages printed in the next 10 minutes, so if it takes a little more time it doesn't bother me for significant financial savings. Other people prefer speed over a little more cost.
Also, if there is a noticeable difference in print quality or varying paper weights/types (I don't know if there is or not), that would have to be a consideration as well. Do you use your printer for photographs? Card stock? Iron-on transfers? Things to sell or give as gifts? That's where print quality would matter to me.
I hope you figure out what works best for you!
You have some very valid points!
Our laser basically died so we went ahead and bought a ecotank. so far I'm very pleased with it!