Kindergarten math curriculum help

BeckyW

I'm working on the initial planning for when my oldest is kindergarten age in the fall. I know what main curriculum I'd like to use, and what I'd like to try for phonics, but I'm having trouble settling on math. My boy is picking up on numbers much more easily than letters so far, as he already has basic counting down, and seems to understand the basics of how addition and subtraction work based on what he verbally tells me. We've also been working on reading the clock to tell time, sorting, cooking math, etc. So I want to find something that will gently challenge him, without being too overwhelming for his more language/ arts-oriented mama. ;)

Since the manipulatives make most of the programs I've looked at more of an investment, it's probably best to try and stick with the same curriculum for at least a few years, right? (He also has two younger siblings that will need to learn math at some point.)

In particular, I'd love to hear your experience with any of the following for the youngest grades: Math-U-See, Right Start Math, and Math Lessons for a Living Education. I'm particularly intrigued by the latter, but am open to other options. The rest of what I'm planning to use is already very classical/Charlotte Mason leaning, and therefore book-heavy.

EightGreatKids

I've never used Math Lessons for a Living Education, but I just looked it up and it looks neat!

MathUSee is very visual and kinesthetic, but it moves kind of slowly and doesn't go into very much depth. It is very gentle, and not so challenging. A friend who used it decided to switch her daughter in 4th grade and found that it was slower than other curricula, so her daughter tested into a lower grade.

The special abacus Right Start uses is amazing for learning mental math techniques. I also love that Right Start uses so many fun games to drill math facts. The whole curriculum is scripted and will require a large time commitment from you. I think it's great for the learners, just teacher intensive. If you're willing to put in the time, though, it seems like it might be a great fit for your family. When I looked it over, it seemed like it would generally take about 30-40 minutes a day.

Math is my very favorite subject to teach, but with a big family I can't devote that much time individually, so I don't use Right Start for my own family. I make my kiddos work more independently. However, if you want to devote that much time, Right Start will give your little guy great number sense! Here's my Math Curriculum Comparison Guide if you want to read my reviews on both of them.

EBM

My 1st grader started this year with Math Lessons for a Living Education. She enjoyed it but it was so slow and she was clearly ready for more of a challenge. We switched to Math U See and I am LOVING it. I've always hated math (my older one uses Teaching Textbooks because even 4th grade math is hard for me) but going through Math U See with my younger one has made math make sense to me for the first time in my life. Luckily it's working for her too or obviously we'd have to try something else lol.

I found math u see so boring and rightstart math I love the idea of but with two Littles it was just too time consuming. I actually JUST ordered math lessons for a living education so I’m hoping that will finally be what works for us.

BeckyW

I've never used Math Lessons for a Living Education, but I just looked it up and it looks neat!

MathUSee is very visual and kinesthetic, but it moves kind of slowly and doesn't go into very much depth. It is very gentle, and not so challenging. A friend who used it decided to switch her daughter in 4th grade and found that it was slower than other curricula, so her daughter tested into a lower grade.

The special abacus Right Start uses is amazing for learning mental math techniques. I also love that Right Start uses so many fun games to drill math facts. The whole curriculum is scripted and will require a large time commitment from you. I think it's great for the learners, just teacher intensive. If you're willing to put in the time, though, it seems like it might be a great fit for your family. When I looked it over, it seemed like it would generally take about 30-40 minutes a day.

Math is my very favorite subject to teach, but with a big family I can't devote that much time individually, so I don't use Right Start for my own family. I make my kiddos work more independently. However, if you want to devote that much time, Right Start will give your little guy great number sense! Here's my Math Curriculum Comparison Guide if you want to read my reviews on both of them.
Thanks for that, the guide was very helpful!

BeckyW

My 1st grader started this year with Math Lessons for a Living Education. She enjoyed it but it was so slow and she was clearly ready for more of a challenge. We switched to Math U See and I am LOVING it. I've always hated math (my older one uses Teaching Textbooks because even 4th grade math is hard for me) but going through Math U See with my younger one has made math make sense to me for the first time in my life. Luckily it's working for her too or obviously we'd have to try something else lol.
Thank you for the reply! Math making sense to you is definitely a good thing.

BeckyW

I found math u see so boring and rightstart math I love the idea of but with two Littles it was just too time consuming. I actually JUST ordered math lessons for a living education so I’m hoping that will finally be what works for us.
Keep me posted, please! I do wonder how I'd be able to fit it in once my two younger kids are more involved, so I'd love to hear your review.

Keep me posted, please! I do wonder how I'd be able to fit it in once my two younger kids are more involved, so I'd love to hear your review.
so I got it yesterday my son loves it and I have to tel him when to take a break he’s already on day 9 after this morning. I looked and looks like the first 6 lessons will be mostly review then lesson 7starts new info. He loves the stories though very cute. Already talking about when he’s done wanting another book. Lol his bother made me have to order him his own book. So here’s hoping they continue to love it!

EightGreatKids

so I got it yesterday my son loves it and I have to tel him when to take a break he’s already on day 9 after this morning. I looked and looks like the first 6 lessons will be mostly review then lesson 7starts new info. He loves the stories though very cute. Already talking about when he’s done wanting another book. Lol his bother made me have to order him his own book. So here’s hoping they continue to love it!
Isn't that the BEST feeling in the whole world (hen kids don't want to quit learning)?!