Interacting with kids in the community

Dwenger86

Every year I debate homeschooling because I want my kids (and myself) to get to know the kids in our community. I know that for us right now homeschooling is the best choice for my kids. But I struggle to think I should try public school so we can be more connected. We just moved from a terrible SD (inner city style) to a still not great one ratings-wise but better (it’s only ten min from where we were). Kids walk by our home to the bus stop (right by our house) every day...and I just have so much tension with it. We have debated just giving them this great foundation spiritually and academically where they have a love for learning instilled in them...and then sending them at some point. But I just don’t know because I see such benefit to homeschooling too. Our son does homeschool gymnastics and our daughters take a dance class by our home. We go to the library regularly. But we still are pretty limited in who we know near us and the same was the case where we lived before. Any suggestions on how to reconcile this tension?

STARLIGHT

The best thing we did to get connected was to take the kids to church and volunteer ourselves. The kids have made wonderful friends through Sunday School, dramas, choir, VBS - as have we. Many are homeschoolers as well! It is important for you to have a network of believers to help you stand strong and be prayer warriors for you and your family. Rest in the Lord! He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother and will be your foundation and fortress of strength!

lilbearsmama

I always worry about my son - he doesn't like most kids his own age, but he loves younger ones, older ones, and adults. I've spoken to him about it, but he has no desire for public school, is happy with the online friendships he has, and is happy with the few kids he sees in Sunday School.

And now that we go to church? He's chatting with everyone, greets, even rides with the choir when we go to sing at other churches for the sole purpose of making sure none of the older folks even attempt to carry a stack of choir books. And it seems that seeing so many of various ages and being able to chat with them is enough for him. He's content.

We used to attend an art class regularly, until the teacher was not able to continue due to her husband's health. He never made friends there. He chatted, but made no friends. He never did with the kids in our apartment complex when we lived there, nor the playground when we were able to go regularly. As long as they can get along with others, the friendships will come, IMHO. Choose your route for your family, and when the time is right, I'm sure things will fall into place. Keep reaching out of course - but my husband and I never had close friends in public school. We had people we knew, that we sometimes did things with, but we don't know them now. My dearest friends are the ones I've made as an adult - give the skills and the faith, and they'll find their way.

Meredith

I always worry about my son - he doesn't like most kids his own age, but he loves younger ones, older ones, and adults. I've spoken to him about it, but he has no desire for public school, is happy with the online friendships he has, and is happy with the few kids he sees in Sunday School.

And now that we go to church? He's chatting with everyone, greets, even rides with the choir when we go to sing at other churches for the sole purpose of making sure none of the older folks even attempt to carry a stack of choir books. And it seems that seeing so many of various ages and being able to chat with them is enough for him. He's content.

We used to attend an art class regularly, until the teacher was not able to continue due to her husband's health. He never made friends there. He chatted, but made no friends. He never did with the kids in our apartment complex when we lived there, nor the playground when we were able to go regularly. As long as they can get along with others, the friendships will come, IMHO. Choose your route for your family, and when the time is right, I'm sure things will fall into place. Keep reaching out of course - but my husband and I never had close friends in public school. We had people we knew, that we sometimes did things with, but we don't know them now. My dearest friends are the ones I've made as an adult - give the skills and the faith, and they'll find their way.
I was stunned to learn that dividing children up by age groups was the invention of a atheistic psychologist named Piaget. Since learning that, I haven't worried about age. Some of my children have best friends near their age while others do not. When my daughter was in high school, she became friends with a young woman four years older. Today they are both Mommas, homeschooling, and the age difference means nothing. My children were each other's closest friends, too and still are as adults. I say, God put kids in families for a reason and that family is the perfect "Friend". When it's the right time, he will have more close friends than he can handle! :) :) He sounds amazing and I love the way you serve at church. You both are truly living out your faith! :) :)