How many other moms here work while homeschooling?

lilbearsmama

I work from home too. I've worked from home in some capacity or other since my son was born (so since 2008). I've done freelance writing, and for the last three years I've done email customer service for a gaming company through a group that hires independent contractors to do the big companies' customer service. It isn't glamorous but it works.

I'm also working on a TEFL certification and a theology degree (I'm crazy, I must be) so hopefully soon I can switch to doing some teaching online. I also have a little blog I started years ago that I just now am beginning to get back to after a couple really rough years.

FLTerri

I work from home too. I've worked from home in some capacity or other since my son was born (so since 2008). I've done freelance writing, and for the last three years I've done email customer service for a gaming company through a group that hires independent contractors to do the big companies' customer service. It isn't glamorous but it works.

I'm also working on a TEFL certification and a theology degree (I'm crazy, I must be) so hopefully soon I can switch to doing some teaching online. I also have a little blog I started years ago that I just now am beginning to get back to after a couple really rough years.
You're my kind of crazy. If I could go back to school, I would! It's just so expensive. I want to go back to grad school for a counseling degree.

FLTerri

I work from home for a large corporation, so my schedule is set by the company. We're just getting started with homeschooling, but I think I've found a curriculum that will work well with our schedule.
What curriculum did you decide to use?

clarissarwest

I work from home and have for years, but it is very part-time!

Hess Un-Academy

What curriculum do you use?
For math, I use CTCMath. It's very hands-off and the kids can man it themselves. My littles learn to read with Reading Eggs. (they also dabble around in the math section of that site.) They think it's a fun game and I can just sit nearby and listen in but they can do it themselves (even the 4-year-old).

My other subjects aren't hands-off per se. I use The Family School Online for science, history, geography, etc etc. I still have to teach those lessons but they're open and go which means I pull up the website, read the lesson with the kids, look at the pictures and watch the videos, and then we're done. It's very fast and easy and then I can go back to work.

Last edited:

karenr

Until recently I worked, mainly outside the home, but I have had one work from home job. Since ds15 was born, I have taught in a small private school, worked in two community college libraries, and taught in an online high school. I'm currently not working, but going back to work is still an option. I've always loved to write and I'm trying to figure out how to make a living at that without writing for content mills.

JCHaley

I work about 5 blocks from home, 8 to 5 M-F. I am currently homeschooling the baby of our family, my 17 year old son. He is hitting a lull in his learning, so I recently shifted his curriculum to something that looks more like what he will experience in college. I started homeschooling in 2004 and I have to say, this is my most challenging time. I have about 18 months to go...fingers crossed. ;)

Sarah-MJFL

I work roughly 25 hours a week from home on my homeschool websites. :)

Sarah-MJFL

For math, I use CTCMath. It's very hands-off and the kids can man it themselves. My littles learn to read with Reading Eggs. (they also dabble around in the math section of that site.) They think it's a fun game and I can just sit nearby and listen in but they can do it themselves (even the 4-year-old).

My other subjects aren't hands-off per se. I use The Family School Online for science, history, geography, etc etc. I still have to teach those lessons but they're open and go which means I pull up the website, read the lesson with the kids, look at the pictures and watch the videos, and then we're done. It's very fast and easy and then I can go back to work.
Hmmm, I've never heard of The Family School Online, but I'm intrigued. I'll have to check it out. How long have you been using it? How old are your kids?

Hess Un-Academy

Hmmm, I've never heard of The Family School Online, but I'm intrigued. I'll have to check it out. How long have you been using it? How old are your kids?
We've been using it for probably 4 years now. We love it. My kids are 10 and under but they (the curriculum) go up to high school. It is a very religious curriculum (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) and incorporates all of our religion's scriptures and gospel topics into each lesson, so we're loving it. But just as a heads up, so you're not caught off guard.

AsteriMom

Hello I am currently working part-time as a server in Diner, also a caretaker for my fatherabd help my sister in looking after her kids every week. I have lost my way in this new journey I've taken in homeschooling. Feel like I have no consistency or structure. Each day is unpredictable. Some days are so emotional and frustrating. I'm thinking if I made the right decision Any advice is appreciate d Thanks

FLTerri

Hello I am currently working part-time as a server in Diner, also a caretaker for my fatherabd help my sister in looking after her kids every week. I have lost my way in this new journey I've taken in homeschooling. Feel like I have no consistency or structure. Each day is unpredictable. Some days are so emotional and frustrating. I'm thinking if I made the right decision Any advice is appreciate d Thanks
You have a lot on your plate. How old are your kiddos? It does get easier as the kids become more able to be self-directed. Do you have any help with the care of your father?