How do you clear out your bookshelves?

Sarah-MJFL

When getting rid of books, what criteria does the book have to meet in order to stay on the shelf?

I'm going through my bookshelf (my books, not homeschool books 😉) and I'm having a hard time deciding what stays and what goes. Some of the books I've had for years and have never even read. 😕

MomsBandB

We don't get rid of very many books. I guess I feel that the quality of books available at the libraries is decreasing, so I want to be able to have a home library that will be available for future generations. And actually the kids (all in their teens) won't let me get rid of a whole lot either. I must say that we do select more carefully now what books we allow into the house in the first place. When we are have thinned out the shelves, the kids have gone over the collection with me and helped me decide what they saw as valuable. We actively seek out ALL the titles used in Five in a Row. We collect biographies. Curriculum is rarely thrown out unless it was horrible, but instead is saved since my own want to use it with their own. And yes, there are many books that haven't been read. (And still today I ordered 2 more used books from my Amazon wish list!) I just have a hard time getting rid of books. :)

EightGreatKids

You don't. Marie Kondo be danged, no way am I only keeping 35 books or whatever she says! Just kidding!

I do get rid of any books I don't consider classics. My definition of a classic is a book I can read multiple times and learn from each time. I want my kids to grow up surrounded by wonderful books! We're all huge bookworms to the tune of reading about five large books a week.

I just keep building more bookcases!

CamsShel

...if it can't be rapaired anymore or is missing more than three pages, out it goes! :-D

My serious criteria is: if I think I will ever want to read it again, look up something in it, or if anyone in my family will want to read, loan, or recommend--it gets kept. (which sometimes means I have more than one copy or have to search used stores to replace some that we have most of)

I also have a shelf that is specifically for books that haven't been read yet...and one for library books. And a list of library books we've read that need to be bought.

I need new shelves.

EightGreatKids

...if it can't be rapaired anymore or is missing more than three pages, out it goes! :-D

Lol! And those books -- the ones with broken bindings and missing pages -- must be replaced because they are obviously well-loved favorites!