Homeschooling on a tight budget

momschool

I am always looking for ideas on how to homeschool on a tight budget! I find its easy when the kids are young but starting about 6th-8th grade it starts getting harder. What are you best tips for keeping the cost down? If you had almost no money how would you homeschool?

DeLaura

My kids are younger so I can't offer suggestions for older education. I get as much as I can used through thrift shops, eBay, and local buy/sell/trade groups. If you can find a thrift store in an area where there are many homeschooling families, consider it to be a goldmine worth prospecting. The library is like a second home to us and they have been very eager to provide whatever assistance they can -they will take suggestions for books to buy. Some curriculums are free or very cheap -many tend to have religious tendencies, so that's a consideration. There are apps that offer free information/lessons- Kahn Academy and Duolingo come to mind, I'm sure there are more.

Mae

Totally free:
Easy Peasy All-In-One Homeschool she has linked all the math to the pre-common core options at Kahn Acadamy if you are not a fan.

Old Fashioned Education

Ambleside Online

Mater Amabilis

If you had a good printer, 1-2 reams of paper (I homeschool 5 at the moment, we use lots of paper) and a good library, you could do this for the cost of your internet connection and some simple supplies. I try to stay away from workbooks, they cost$$ when you think of more than one student. If you did most of your work on the computer and saved to the cloud, you would have less cost.

EightGreatKids

I have homeschooled with almost no money at times, primarily using the internet and the library. There are actually a ton of really good resources out there -- totally free! I love Mae's suggestions above, and there are a bunch more suggestions in this post for free homeschool curriculum. I make my own math manipulatives which work just as well as their expensive, commercial counterparts.

We primarily take free homeschool field trips. And when I do buy textbooks and literature (I only buy things I'm pretty sure I'll use over and over for multiple children) I always search for used (and cheap!) versions first. Also, you'll find lots of free unit studies on Pinterest. Just search for the topic you want, plus 'free+unit+study' and you'll have lots to choose from.

Here are 12 Tips for Homeschooling on a Budget, which shares some of my favorite resources.

While homeschooling for free takes a bit more work, it's completely possible. Even when I have more money available, I still choose to homeschool as frugally as possible so I can put that money toward Worldschooling (learning while traveling) or music lessons and other excellent opportunities that aren't free.

momschool

You guys all have such great tips! and I'm going to looking at the websites you all suggested!

MomsBandB

My best tip for saving money is to multi-level teach as much as possble. Subjects like history, science, Bible, and most electives can be taught together. Mystery of History is one such curriculum that gives different assignments for different age levels in each lesson. Unit studies are also very flexible and can be used with multiple ages/grades. Don't get hung up on what "grade" a curriculum says the material is for. Let your kids work at their ability.

We are getting ready to graduate our oldest this year. All he has known is homeschooling. Additionally, we have homeschooled for really little. We rely heavily on our library. They have every resource needed to successfully homeschool each level. They have books that teach SAT and ACT subjects. They have computers with internet and access to language programs to learn whatever language you wish and other subscription sites to learn many other skills. They have dvd's on all subjects and topics. They teach computer skills. They offer programs on getting a job, writing a resume, interview skills, etc. We've learned how to paint pictures and crochet. From the internet to books to programs to dvds to music cd's, every subject is covered. Additionally, if there is a resource our 11 branches doesn't have, we have access to the other libraries in our state and across the country through inter-library loan.

The other thing we have done is used free resources from homeschool bloggers. The biggest cost we have had is for paper, notebooks, pens, and paper.

I have won some online classes for our oldest son.

Other resources have been given to us or we have purchased for really inexpensively at thrift stores, eBay, Facebook homeschool groups (one you pay only shipping for the books and another offers used curriculum for sale for as little as 50 cents a book plus shipping), library book sales, and garage / yard sales.

We also use games to reinforce learning. Again, these can be purchased at thrift stores, online, on sale, or at garage sales.

It is possible to give your child an exceptional education all the way through school for very little money.