Homeschooling Homesteaders!!

DaLynnRmc

I'd love to be. I wanted to be. I thought I was GOING to be... and then my health hit me. I'm on the one hand, glad we didn't move to deep east Texas and set ourselves up that way, because I'd never have the energy to do it after all. But, I'm jealous of you all and will be lurking. 🤫🤭

deliberatemom

Where's my tribe?

We live on a small, off-grid homestead in southeastern Ohio. Our everyday life on the homestead is very much a part of our homeschool! There are so many learning opportunities to fill our day, more than just book-learning.

Let's chat!
I live in a townhouse style condo in the city of Edmonton. Homesteading is a dream. One day I'll have a piece of land... and chickens! lol

clarissarwest

Not off-grid, but maybe someday!
However, we moved (back) to the country in 2019! We live on a 1acre mini farm with a 1000sqft fixer-upper cottage outside of a small community (2000 population) and 20min from the closest traffic lights. We are slowly building our homestead and have chickens, rabbits, cats, a dog ... and plan to have gardens this year.
I was raised on a commercial farm in WA and a 200acre ranch in OR, so I have been dreaming of getting my kids out in the country and am so thankful that we now are!

Kasdira

A couple years ago we were in the process of building our tiny home on our 30 acres. We were working towards off-grid. But we had an abrupt change of course, closed our business and had to revert our almost paid off property back to the owner (we only had three years left of payments).

But God...

He showed us new opportunities in the rescuing us from a land I was not a 100% happy with and a business that was wearing heavily on my husband. We do still do desire an off grid homestead, but we also want to travel. He and I are both working towards becoming "recognized" journeyman blacksmiths (my oldest wants to as well, but for now he can still apprentice lol) So our prayer is to find a home-base that we can make self-sustainable during our travels.

CamsShel

I'm an on-again, off-again gardener, animal raiser. We are currently in the off-again phase...I lost to the predators a few years ago. Until we have saved enough money for excellent fences, we won't have animals to feed the wildlife. //sigh// We have raised chickens, ducks, turkeys, and goats. We have a small garden for veggies that one of my older daughters is currently in charge of (and much better at it than I ever was!)

mamajenkins09

I'd love to be. I wanted to be. I thought I was GOING to be... and then my health hit me. I'm on the one hand, glad we didn't move to deep east Texas and set ourselves up that way, because I'd never have the energy to do it after all. But, I'm jealous of you all and will be lurking. 🤫🤭
Me too!! Definitely not a homesteader but dream to be one. I feel like we can still learn a lot of skills and tools to be more self-reliant even where we are at though. I will be lurking right alongside you! 🤣

Sarah-MJFL

BubbaMama10

We moved across the country last year to find our happy little dream farm! We are not off grid but we are working toward being self sufficient. We raise animals and have a huge garden. I love living this way!

Angcobb28

It's been a dream of mine to be off-grid, raising animals and huge gardens, but... that's been put on the back burner for some years! I am still hopeful! The Lord has been good to us in many other, helpful ways. I didn't get my off-grid house, yet, but we've learned some self-sufficient lessons that have healed our immune systems. So I do have a lot of wonderful herbal remedies to help my family through this sick season, in upstate New York! ;) I just finished making my elderberry syrup with star anise, ginger root and juniper berries! Plus some good old fire cider and herbal tonics are keeping so many sicknesses at bay! That's a little bit closer to being more prepared for an off-grid homestead, right!? :)

EightGreatKids

Me! We aren't off-grid, but we have a little farm in Utah. We have jersey and brown-swiss cows and chickens and permaculture orchards. I'm trying to figure out how to make this little farm of mine more productive so it's not just a big money pit!

I mean, I love all of the benefits we get from it (raw milk, grass-fed beef, organic produce, good work opportunities) but there has got to be a way for it to at least pay for itself. Any ideas?

Mandy2545

Me! We aren't off-grid, but we have a little farm in Utah. We have jersey and brown-swiss cows and chickens and permaculture orchards. I'm trying to figure out how to make this little farm of mine more productive so it's not just a big money pit!

I mean, I love all of the benefits we get from it (raw milk, grass-fed beef, organic produce, good work opportunities) but there has got to be a way for it to at least pay for itself. Any ideas?

I know what you mean! We have a mini farm, and we love the benefits. We jokingly call it the Reducing Farm, because it reduces our waistlines and wallets! If you find any good tips for making it more productive, please share!

Kimby27

Hey-oh! My husband's friends (from the suburbs of course) dubbed us "homesteader and homesteader's wife" 🤣 We're not off-grid (sigh) but it's been a dream! We raise chickens, guinea's and ducks on 13 acres with our littles and plant our little garden from seed (nothing much better to do in the dead of winter in upstate NY!) and preserve whatever possible come autumn. Wildcrafting, dehydrating food, recognizing local flora & fauna, making lotions, bone broth and bread... just some of our not-so-unusual everyday happenings. Teaching our kids the value and pride of self sufficiency and enjoying reaping the benefits together throughout the year! 🥰