Great Electives for High School

Lcourtneymom

I don't know about you, but I'm always on the lookout for great electives that my high schoolers can do that don't cost a fortune. Any ideas besides the traditional- sport, art, music?

Sarah-MJFL

Currently my high schoolers just have part-time jobs, attend youth/student activities at church, and serve at church (oh, and the traditional sports - hockey).

This is a good post from Ben & Me - it gives elective ideas based on what career path the student is interested in.

DaLynnRmc

The scouting alternative program we use is called Quest Club. You can see all the badges they offer on their site and there are examples you can view for each category. You could totally make some of those into a credit, or group them together to be a credit.

Get creative with "sport, music, art" too!
Sport? Dance, bowling, archery, martial arts, fishing, hunting, gun safety, swimming, lifeguard certification...
Music? Worship team at church, community choir, self-taught instrument, music history, composer studies, hymn studies...
Art? Scrapbooking, bullet journal style planning, community service brightening of a public area, gardening, photography, projects for the fair...

JohnNotgrass

Notgrass History
When my siblings and I were in high school, we volunteered at different locations. I helped a public school teacher with the new technology in her classroom. One of my sisters served at a church Mother's Day Out program. Another visited residents at a nursing home with her puppet. Whatever your child's interest and talent, there's probably a volunteer opportunity out there.

Penny Mayes

Sally Matheny

I don't know about you, but I'm always on the lookout for great electives that my high schoolers can do that don't cost a fortune. Any ideas besides the traditional- sport, art, music?
One of our daughters did an elective in Equine Study. I can send you a list of books used and what we did, if you're interested. She ended the course by planning and conducting a hands-on workshop for young horse-lovers in our community.
I know you said not art or music, but we are doing Music Appreciation and plan to do Art Appreciation- which is different than learning an instrument or taking art lessons . We're using Zeezok Music Appreciation (for middle grades) which my son loves because he doesn't have background experience in music. We plan to add some elements to the curriculum such as attending local music events. We've not decided yet on our art appreciation curriculum but he will enjoy that since he does have some experience in art. Other electives we are considering, when he is old enough to enroll at our local community college, are trade skills. You may consider devising an elective course using continuing education classes or take classes offered by home extension offices (4-H), local clubs and businesses. Ideas: cake baking & decorating, event planning, blacksmith forging, child care, etc. You just need to keep track of the hours and resources used.

cristysoh

The scouting alternative program we use is called Quest Club. You can see all the badges they offer on their site and there are examples you can view for each category. You could totally make some of those into a credit, or group them together to be a credit.

Get creative with "sport, music, art" too!
Sport? Dance, bowling, archery, martial arts, fishing, hunting, gun safety, swimming, lifeguard certification...
Music? Worship team at church, community choir, self-taught instrument, music history, composer studies, hymn studies...
Art? Scrapbooking, bullet journal style planning, community service brightening of a public area, gardening, photography, projects for the fair...
Oh thank you!!!!

Our youngest is involved with the 5-day Clubs and the Christian Ministries Institute through Child Evangelism fellowship. I'm counting an elective in Christian apologetics for all the years of training he has received through involvement in Good News clubs and 5-Day clubs. I would be great if he could take all the classes from CMI, but that will likely not all happen in high school. He gets two weeks of training every year. plus the hands-on experience. I have also considered adding some of the hours of training plus his experience teaching Children's church toward an elective in Early Childhood Education.

Last edited: