Free Therapy Services in Texas

HomeschooledSLP

Hello! My name is Sarah, and I have been a Speech-Language Pathologist in Texas for 7 years. My sister is Heather, and she has been an Occupational Therapist for 9 years. Before we were therapists, we were both homeschooled throughout the majority of our elementary-high school years, and were even members of a Texas homeschool co-op and robotics team! Heather now homeschools her daughters, and the homeschool community continues to be very close to our hearts!

Recently, I have been approached by a few different parents of homeschooled children to ask if I felt that their children's development was on par with other children's. One of them was in fact delayed, and the parent was completely unsure of how to obtain and pay for services. She had no idea that the Texas public school system is required to assess any school-aged child in the jurisdiction regardless of enrollment. Although she is thrilled to be receiving services for her child at no cost to her, she does not enjoy making trips to her local school every week.

Heather and I are hoping to establish whether or not there is a need in Texas for free speech/occupational therapy services in settings which may be more convenient or comfortable for homeschool families than a public school setting.

I am including a link at the bottom of this message to a quick, anonymous survey for any Texas parents who are willing to participate.

Thank you!
Sarah

Texas Parent Questionnaire