Experienced

DaLynnRmc

Just a post to say, I have one in college so have been through the application and admissions processes as well as financial aid and all of that jazz. He's 20 years old, has high functioning autism and severe anxiety, and this fall (2019) has been his very first college semester. He's at a community college, seeking to obtain an Associate's Degree in a Commercial Music major - AAS in Audio Technology.

And I love to answer questions and help. :) I also have a 16 year old son who wants to attend technical college, and a 15 year old son who wants to be a lawyer, so we run the gammit of college experiences over here! Happy to help if I can!

Sarah-MJFL

I would love to get some advice on finding scholarships for homeschool graduates. Do you have any experience with that?

DaLynnRmc

A little bit. Mostly we have gone to sites like the SallieMae website which lists a ton of scholarships, and apply from there. Most of them don't denote whether a homeschooler would be excluded usually. We went the community college route and we also qualify for Pell Grant, so between those two resources my kiddo was covered with cash back even (which he used for textbooks). But the big websites that list scholarships are super helpful! I'll grab links for those and post them here.

The biggest secret, I feel like, is the institution often has money at several levels. My son qualified for foundation scholarships (the college itself), for department scholarships (his is Commercial Music, but you'd look at... say, the College of Liberal Arts at any given university), and then his specific major (Audio Technology) also had scholarships.