Early elementary history that is mostly reading?

Sarah-MJFL

As we get back into the swing of things with homeschooling I'm reevaluating and as always, history for my littles takes a back seat.

Is there anything out there for roughly grades 1-4 that is mainly just reading aloud? While I'd love to do projects and lap books and all that jazz with them, in reality, I just don't have time. But I'd like them to at least get an introduction to history; ideally using one book or minimal books.

*not interested in Story of the World; tried it, didn't like it 😉

Thanks!

Dwenger86

While I didn’t like the majority of what I found when I signed up for schoolhouse teachers, they did have an American History through Picture Books course. I found that great for my kids (ages 3-9). I basically just took that and went off with it. There may be similar things like it.

One option would be to put in a request to your library for children’s books for a certain time period. Our library lets homeschoolers act as teachers so I can send in a request as a teacher and they’ll find material for whatever I’m looking for based on the subject and ages. Or I’ll just browse online and find some titles myself. Just read them and ask questions along the way.

You could also do Magic Tree House. Their website has some extra resources too. Theres a blogger with a product you can buy based on the books too. I’m probably going to use it next year. It’s called Passport to Adventure. I just got Imagination Station and heard it’s similar to MTH. I got one book from the library to try with one kid and haven’t opened it yet but that is a potential other option.

At the Heels of History is a newer series that’s historical fiction and my kids adored the one about Paul Revere...supplemented with other books. There are lots of historical fiction books out there that may be good as jumping points.

JohnNotgrass

Notgrass History
Our Star-Spangled Story from Notgrass History has 90 lessons about people and events from the pre-colonial period to the present. We offer a workbook and suggested hands-on activities, but you don't have to do those to use the curriculum. You can just read the lessons and the (optional) recommended literature.

https://history.notgrass.com/elementary-u-s-history-homeschool-curriculum/

Our Star-Spangled Story elementary history curriculum

Dana

OMGness I just downloaded the 3 unit sample. This is just what I was looking for! It has the story , worksheets and music. This is the combo that I have found works best for my daughter on the spectrum. I had just posted a thread in the special needs forum asking about History when I saw this post. Now to convince my husband that I need to buy more materials :D Tax time is coming! :D

Dana

Even more of a WOW is that you have my 8th great grandfather Pieter Claesen Wyckoff in your curriculum. This is just amazing <3

StefLayton

I think we did Mystery of History with my oldest - that was a lot of reading. We skipped the worksheets/quizzes and just did discussions. The hands-on activities were pretty simple he did them himself.