dating a guy who works swing shifts

Does anyone else have a hubby who does not work standard hours? I seems hat other couples have regular date nights. We have to grab moments as the opportunity arises. Do you have any tips for keeping things fresh when your schedules are very different? My hubby retires from his government job in November. He is going into real estate, so I truly think nothing will change much. :D It may actually be harder to find time together alone.

Hess Un-Academy

We don't now, thank goodness, but we used to. It's so hard. But we frequented 'at home dates' during that time since our schedules were such a mess. I'd have kids set up elsewhere (usually a movie) and then have a special dinner all cooked up and ready to go when he got home or right before he woke up for work and we'd squeeze in that nice alone time over a meal and sometimes a quick game. Not ideal but it's all I had to work with at the time.

CamsShel

When we first started homeschooling, my husband worked the night shift. We just shifted our schedules to match his. Since we didn't have to meet any other time-frames (except church), it made more sense for our family.

We treated the time from 8-noon like an office worker would treat 6-10pm. We did whatever errands we needed to do when he got home from work, then ate [lunch], then went to sleep...it was naptime for the kids and bedtime for my husband.

We only had one car, so grocery shopping was done in the morning when he got home and then we would go to a local restaurant that had free kid meals on weekdays for lunch. Dr's appointments were also scheduled for the morning.

Our "date nights" were actually at about 11:00 am. :)

The only thing that was hard was Wednesday night church.

Dessa

My husband currently works 10-14 hour days starting anywhere from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m.. Since he only knows his schedule the week it is happening, we cannot match mine and our son's sleep patterns to my husband's, so we make sure that every day is filled with no less than 1 good kiss and no less than 3 hugs lasting at least 20 seconds each. Science has shown that a hug must last 20+ seconds for your body to reap the health benefits. We find that starting our encounters with affection reminds us to let go of all of the outside stuff that bogs us all down and to really focus on our time together. We rarely have anyone to watch Ayden, so we set him up with electronic entertainment and head to our bedroom together. We sit or snuggle on our bed while having conversations. Even if we only have 10 minutes of that time together before my husband has to go to bed, it allows us to remain connected.