CTC vs Teaching Textbooks?

Sarah

If anyone has tried both CTC and Teaching Textbooks at the middle school and/or high school levels, I'd love to hear your experiences. Which did you prefer? And why? I'm considering switching my oldest to one of these programs. Thanks! :)

Abby Banks

I only have experience with CTC math, but it was a great switch for my son with dyslexia. We were using a traditional textbook approach before (and had also dabbled with video lessons that were made for a traditional classroom approach). We're using CTC math for high school geometry this year. The lessons are short enough to be effective and it emphasizes mastery before moving on to new content.

Sarah-MJFL

I have used both, but not in the upper levels. Based on the younger levels, I prefer Teaching Textbooks. I didn't feel that CTC was thorough enough or covered enough content. There were also a few other things I didn't like (like functionality and navigation), but can't remember exactly what because it was quite a few years ago. And being that it was so long ago, they may have made some changes and it might be better now. 🤷‍♀️

Once my kids hit 3rd grade (or 3rd grade level math), they start using Teaching Textbooks. I can't image using anything else.

Oh, I just thought of something I didn't like about CTC - the language difference (accent of the speaker - it was hard for my kids to understand; spelling of words - like colour instead of color), and metric vs. standard methods used. These things probably wouldn't have bothered me in the upper levels, but in the younger grades when the child is also learning to read, I felt it was confusing for them. Plus, I think CTC Math has changed owners and things may be different now.

I believe they both have free trials you can do to help you decide. ;)

This post helps compare the two.

Liljo

I have an 8th grader so if anyone has any experience with the pre-algebra through CTCMath level I'd love to here your opinion!

Hess Un-Academy

What do you prefer about CTC?
It felt more hands-off to me. CTC was (is) easier for my kids to navigate without me. I also like how I have every level available to me so if my kids are faster, slower, or need to bounce around for whatever reason, I have all those options available to me. AND I like how with CTC they can't game the system and figure out how to progress without actually having learned anything. My kids are masters at progressing without learning and CTC prevents them from doing that.

kmho8

I have tried both Teaching Textbooks and CTC Math for my high schooler and middle schooler. I wish CTC had a workbook, because I strongly feel math needs to be written down. However, because CTC uses a mastery approach (TT is spiral) my kids have a much better understanding of each skill. They are actually able to practice each skill enough to feel comfortable using it in harder problems. TT does not offer enough mastery which led to many frustrations and not a full understanding. TT felt like expecting a baby to run when just learning how to walk. At the younger levels you can get away with it, but once high level math is reached, not only do the kids struggle the Moms do too!! lol

My daughter used TT through 5th grade (which she completed by Jan/Feb) so she began CTC for 6th. I may plan to return to TT for 7th for it offers word problems, workbook and more challenge (she is a fast learner). CTC 6th grade better prepared her for TT Math 7.

Algebra was ok in TT but not enough problems to really thoroughly learn each skill. CTC was a MUST for Geometry - TT I felt was a disaster - maybe if you have a student that is gifted in math but I failed to learn it their style. I was literally in tears!! I switched to YAY Math but we were in Geometry and a lesson from Algebra 2 popped up??? It was very confusing - very sad too because that teacher was FUN!!

I have heard GREAT things about Mr D online math. I think he would be better for those that do not struggle in learning math though...he is challenging but in a good way. CTC Math makes math so easy to understand that it feels like cheating lol I love that my kids get exposed to a different culture's teaching style as well! We are learning more of the metric system which since 90% of the world uses is a valuable skill as the world becomes more interconnected. They love how the guy speaks and it has led to more learning of the differences in our cultures even though Australia is an English speaking country. lol

kmho8

If anyone has tried both CTC and Teaching Textbooks at the middle school and/or high school levels, I'd love to hear your experiences. Which did you pre

I have tried both Teaching Textbooks and CTC Math for my high schooler and middle schooler. I wish CTC had a workbook, because I strongly feel math needs to be written down. However, because CTC uses a mastery approach (TT is spiral) my kids have a much better understanding of each skill. They are actually able to practice each skill enough to feel comfortable using it in harder problems. TT does not offer enough mastery which led to many frustrations and not a full understanding. TT felt like expecting a baby to run when just learning how to walk. At the younger levels you can get away with it, but once high level math is reached, not only do the kids struggle the Moms do too!! lol

My daughter used TT through 5th grade (which she completed by Jan/Feb) so she began CTC for 6th. I may plan to return to TT for 7th for it offers word problems, workbook and more challenge (she is a fast learner). CTC 6th grade better prepared her for TT Math 7.

Algebra was ok in TT but not enough problems to really thoroughly learn each skill. CTC was a MUST for Geometry - TT I felt was a disaster - maybe if you have a student that is gifted in math but I failed to learn it their style. I was literally in tears!! I switched to YAY Math but we were in Geometry and a lesson from Algebra 2 popped up??? It was very confusing - very sad too because that teacher was FUN!!

I have heard GREAT things about Mr D online math. I think he would be better for those that do not struggle in learning math though...he is challenging but in a good way. CTC Math makes math so easy to understand that it feels like cheating lol I love that my kids get exposed to a different culture's teaching style as well! We are learning more of the metric system which since 90% of the world uses is a valuable skill as the world becomes more interconnected. They love how the guy speaks and it has led to more learning of the differences in our cultures even though Australia is an English speaking country. lol