Books for a 10-year-old??

4given woman

Not sure if you are only wanting secular or if allegory type books are okay with you, but my daughter finished Lord of the Rings. It is lengthy enough to keep a child's attention. It does have a wonderful fantasy element to it like the Harry Potter books. Narnia is another series, but it sounds like that might be below your child's reading level. I think Percy Jackson has some Greek mythology books series like The Lighting Thief that has a lot of fantasy elements. Hope that might help.

Hess Un-Academy

Not sure if you are only wanting secular or if allegory type books are okay with you, but my daughter finished Lord of the Rings. It is lengthy enough to keep a child's attention. It does have a wonderful fantasy element to it like the Harry Potter books. Narnia is another series, but it sounds like that might be below your child's reading level. I think Percy Jackson has some Greek mythology books series like The Lighting Thief that has a lot of fantasy elements. Hope that might help.
That does help. Thank you! I want to keep him interested in reading since it took so long to get him engaged in the first place.

BubbaMama10

My daughter reads all the time and I had trouble figuring out what books she would be interested in. We went to the library and she sat in the middle of the books and read the backs of books. She made herself a list of what she thought she would like. I reviewed the list and she has been going through the list. She found some series that she really loved and she also started to read some and realized they weren't for her. I love that she is exploring and figuring out her own taste in things! (she is going on 10) I think you could sit with him and go over the backs of the books with him and discuss if they sound good or not...

CamsShel

We liked the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson. There are also some Adventures in Odyssey books that are called Passages that have a similar fantasy feel. The Hobbit and Narnia are always good choices. Some of my kids like Nadine Brandes' books (Out of Time series, Fawkes, Romanov). There are also some Brandon Sanderson books that are written for a younger audience--Skyward is the first in a series about "space warriors" and The Rithmatist is similar to HP. Oh--Bryan Davis writes several series that are good if you like dragons (and who doesn't?).

We read a lot... lol