Book Report

Tzunamisu

My 5th grader just finished her first book report. She avoids pen/paper writing like a plague. She is fine with typing. So I had her create a google slide show for her book report. She did pretty well & I went thru the editing process with her. For 2021, I told her she will be doing 2 book reports every month. One book will be her choice & the other will be my pick. Is this a good idea? Are 2 books per month too much? Aside from this required book report, she actually reads a lot of fiction or non fiction books on her free time. Any suggestions or comments are truly appreciated. TIA!

Aunt Kim

That sounds fantastic!!

Some "non-book-reports" we've done are:
create a scene from the book out of Lego/Playmobil
write a poem about a character or event (one of mine LOVES to write poems)
tell a younger sibling the main storyline of the book (great at nap time)
make a book cover like the books at the library have (picture on front, "teaser" to get people interested on back, something about author inside)
build an "old-school" diorama (shoe box, cardboard, etc)
create/perform a "commercial" for the book that will make me want to buy/read it (that could also be fun to do on a Zoom call with a group/co-op - everybody "sell" their book to everybody else)
lots of times we just talked about the book, characters, problems, "what if that happened to you?" things, etc.

Have fun!

Sally Matheny

My 5th grader just finished her first book report. She avoids pen/paper writing like a plague. She is fine with typing. So I had her create a google slide show for her book report. She did pretty well & I went thru the editing process with her. For 2021, I told her she will be doing 2 book reports every month. One book will be her choice & the other will be my pick. Is this a good idea? Are 2 books per month too much? Aside from this required book report, she actually reads a lot of fiction or non fiction books on her free time. Any suggestions or comments are truly appreciated. TIA!
Hi,
I had a reluctant writer and can relate to your struggles. You know your child better than anyone. If you think two reports a month are doable, then I say go with it. I like that you're flexible in how those reports may be presented. Aunt Kim shared some great ideas! Years ago, I taught a homeschool co-op class different ways to present book reports. We did several of Kim's ideas. Also, we interviewed students who portrayed book characters asking them their perspective in a scene. Students either wrote a news story or did a video clip reporting the news. You might consider hosting a book tasting where your daughter has written a short report with just enough details to entice someone else to read the book. You can find ideas for book tastings on Pinterest.