Best curriculum for dyslexic students

Abby Banks

I'm coming to the realization that I can't use the same curriculum with my dyslexic son as I've used with his siblings. So, what's your best curriculum choices to complete for high school credit, while at the same time being flexible enough to work for a dyslexic student?

Thanks in advance! :)

DaLynnRmc

We've used a lot of different things but have never really used all the same curriculum for all subjects. I think it really depends on how your student learns best. My 15yo dyslexic son is an auditory learner, so for us that means that he needs the auditory component but also his surroundings need to be quiet. He does best with a cycle-type approach that reviews concepts, especially when it adds in a visual component either in the original presentation or in the review cycle. We do a lot of lifeschooling and Netflix schooling. ;)

What curriculum have you used with the others?

We like the Science 101 DVD series, for starters. I'm liking A+ Tutorsoft for math up to high school and then maybe UnLock Algebra for there up; we also have college textbooks from our local school that we plan to try. We're using Lightning Literature and doing it as a group; there are 4 students including my dyslexic 15yo, his 16yo brother, their 16yo best friend, and his 16yo twin sister who is also dyslexic. It's been going pretty well! That family used Learning Language Arts Through Literature up to this point, and I really think we are going to take my boys through Writing With Ease and Fix It Grammar to catch up on their skills. We love Mystery of History with all its extras... and Grapevine Stick Figure Through the Bible for Bible and the Apologia "What We Believe" series for worldview studies. We do those together with our friends, too, so they get the auditory for it. The Apologia actually offers an auditory CD of their text.

Does any of that help? That's just what we use - after settling on something finally. Just because it worked for us doesn't mean it's for everyone, but there's some to start with. I'm very curious as to what you've used before, though. :)

Abby Banks

Thanks for these recommendations. My dyslexic is my 2nd child, so I'm getting used to the fact that I can't use for him what I used with his older brother!

For math, we used to be textbook-based, now with CTC Math & it's going quite well.
Realizing we need to switch from Apologia Biology to something else for second semester. Even though I bought the Apologia audio mp3 of the text, it's still not enough. It think I need something more video based.