Any Christian Herbalists in the group?

Angcobb28

The Lord has taken me on an amazing journey into the area of using medicinal plants for all my families needs (with the exception of major things, like broken bones, deep gushing wounds.. the major stuff, but I'm studying that stuff, too, for down the road). God's plants are amazing in the healing of...well, everything department! ;)

It all started with almost losing my oldest daughter, Faith, at 2 1/2, to pnuemonia gone horribly wrong. Her doctor detected it too late, despite our constant ER visits and calls to her office! But the Lord has turned it into my testimony of redemption, passion, and a desire to help others find the freedom from conventional medicine, to more God ordained, healthy, natural, alternative medicine (more like real whole foods and plants).

After Faith was in the hospital for one week, they sent her to our Children's Hospital, because both her lungs were filling up with fluid and the hospital we were originally at didn't have the ability to care for her deteriorating state. They rushed us to the Children's hospital to be under 24/7 doctor's supervision and the report went from bad to worse! If it wasn't for God's mercy and grace, and many praying, this would not be the testimony it is today. My Faith is a tween, today, full of life and determined to get the most out of it, thank you, Jesus!!!

So, for six years now, I've been learning everything I can about growing medicinal herbs, foraging others I can't grow, fermenting, and making teas, tonics and whatever healthy alternatives are available for my family to heal and be whole. Anyone else with a story to share?

I just finished making a new batch of elderberry syrup I made with dried elderberries, star anise, ginger root and juniper berries! We have been drinking it so much this winter, trying to keep all the sicknesses at bay!

Plus I bought from Frontier some of the dried herbs and flowers I didn't grow in my garden or forage from nearby fields. I now have a full medicinal plants/herbs cabinet to fight off all the stuff coming at us. We have been blessed by the Lord, since I have been using these herbal teas/ treatments, to not ever again, go to the doctors office for any sickness or have to be on antibiotics for any major issues because the teas, along with doing our best to eat healthy (80% of the time), have built our immune systems up! That will be seven years this March I said good- bye to conventional medicine and dived head first into the many blessings and benefits of God's wonderful plants. <3

lilbearsmama

I'm not quite there yet - Just learning. I make some of our own things and am trying to learn how to make more. I don't have a lot of area to grow stuff, so it can be tricky. But I started leaning more towards more natural stuff when my kiddo was around 18 months. He had a terrible reaction to his vaccinations (as in - febrile seizures, multiple trips to the ER and health dept which was our doctor then, a horrible rash, lethargy) and we were sent home each time with "some kids just react. He's fine."

Ended up using my grandmother's catnip and feverfew tea recipes and sitting up all night in the shower with him until his fever broke that night with a lot of praying. He's never been quite right since, but for the most part we manage to avoid needing antibiotics and such. Even make my mom her own muscle rub for her chronic pain (she swears by it.) If you have any suggestions or advice or website recs, please throw them at me!

Angcobb28

I'm not quite there yet - Just learning. I make some of our own things and am trying to learn how to make more. I don't have a lot of area to grow stuff, so it can be tricky. But I started leaning more towards more natural stuff when my kiddo was around 18 months. He had a terrible reaction to his vaccinations (as in - febrile seizures, multiple trips to the ER and health dept which was our doctor then, a horrible rash, lethargy) and we were sent home each time with "some kids just react. He's fine."

Ended up using my grandmother's catnip and feverfew tea recipes and sitting up all night in the shower with him until his fever broke that night with a lot of praying. He's never been quite right since, but for the most part we manage to avoid needing antibiotics and such. Even make my mom her own muscle rub for her chronic pain (she swears by it.) If you have any suggestions or advice or website recs, please throw them at me!
Hello! I am also not very far in my learning, it's been almost seven years and I've been slow and steady at learning! We do have some land, but a lot of our land is too wet, even for our kids to play, so I have to be creative with space. Most of the stuff I have is wild, it grew right where I harvest it. If you want to check out a plant identification group on Facebook, they are very good at telling you what plants you have, if you post a pic. That's how I first started, with how to identify my plants that grew naturally in my yard/area. I use some books on free foods and medicinal plants. I can tell you the name of some if you like having some books on hand.

Plus on some of my foraging trips, I took plants to transplant into my wild herb garden and was given some by other gardeners. I now have a four year old set of Echinacea, Yarrow, Boneset, Burdock, Chocolate peppermint and Spearmint plants, along with the wild ones that were already here. My gardens are wild plants, mostly, because a wild garden salad is packed with so much more nutrition than any cultivated lettuce plants I could grow, so if you want to find out more about that, we can definitely talk about that. Some of the books I have, do share info. on those, too! :)

I know what you mean about the adverse reaction to a set of vaccines, Faith's pneumonia and later decline, was within a small period of time, soon after one of her visits for shots with her primary.

But now I have a testimony of God's protection and His direction, I would never have researched if it didn't happen, so I use it for good! My Faith loves nature studies and owns her own set of very detailed herb books, for her enjoyment and of course, homeschool science. She has seen God's creation in action, for her own health, plus now she can go outside and name about 30 medicinal plants to use for whatever needs she/we have, i.e. like plantain, if chewed up and put on a bee sting, cut, mosquito bite, etc., it takes the swelling, pain and redness away in minutes! :)

It's nice to see how important, life changing events, shape even our homeschool interests. We have made our own lip balm, which she loved. I have also used this for applying the sciences, since life skills/lessons are just as important to our lifeschooling adventure.

We also are into fermenting so that we have powerful tonics, full of vitamins, minerals, probiotic action, to get the immune system to kick it into action, to heal quickly. We have a recipe called, "fire cider", which uses some of the most powerful antibiotics (naturally occurring in plants) garlic and ginger, cayenne, onions, apple cider vinegar, lemon, thyme, rosemary and oregano! Add honey and this ferment tastes almost like balsamic vinegrette, but with naturally powerful healing qualities because you make it yourself and store it away for a month to infuse the vinegar.

Lilbearsmama (love your username!), that's awesome that you are making salves that your mom loves! I have yet to make a salve, I do have some that I bought from a wonderful Mennonite family for things like that, but someday I will, it's on my list! ;)

So if you want to know the names of those books, let me know, I use them all the time, slowly growing my knowledge to help my family and anyone else whose interested! Thank you for sharing a little of your story with me! Do you have the recipe for your mom's salve? My husband gets a lot of sore muscles from his job!

Thank you, I would love to know what herbs you use and what bases you set them in! I just rendered my first suet to use in my cast iron, but the salve I got from the Mennonites uses that as a base, along with olive oil and beeswax, so I want to try it in my salve! Have you ever used it? Talk with you later!

NorthStrongFree

Hello! Just dabbling here. We have a lot of plantain that grows in our yard naturally, and I have Maria Treben's book 'Health through God's Pharmacy' that I'm learning from!

Angcobb28

Hello! Just dabbling here. We have a lot of plantain that grows in our yard naturally, and I have Maria Treben's book 'Health through God's Pharmacy' that I'm learning from!
Hello and Thank you! I am a big time book lover, I can never have too many on hand, lol, though my hubby would beg to differ! :) I will check her book out, I have an Amish women's book, a great resource to share as well! "Backyard Pharmacy: Weeds that Heal", by Rachel Weaver M. H.

She shares how the Lord has used her techniques, even in Pennsylvanian hospitals, due to Amish patients needing serious care. They allow her to come in their hospitals to care for her folk and have actually incorporated her herbal treatments for serious burn victims, into their burn treatment courses, not just for local, but across state lines. She shares amazing stories of her folk asking her for her herbal treatments and giving her extraordinary reports, nothing short of miracles (God's goodness!) from everyone who has a variety of ailments, diseases, and accidents! The pictures she shares in the book show amazing recoveries, one of a boy whose thigh had to be completely cut away because of, I believe, a saw accident. The two pictures show such an amazing healing with herbs and salve, with almost no need for pain medication (she shares how the hospital doctors are left in amazement at no, to almost no pain medication used in the herbal treatments, because they're just so,"God-ordained" powerful!)

;) What kinds of herbal remedies do you like?

And plantain is such a powerful healer, in so many ways! It's a newer thing I learned about herbal teas, if you want to try it in warmer weather, but the Lord showed me to do this, and then I researched the benefits (wow, God is good!) I blend a few different wild plants, fresh from the fields, in the blender and infuse it in warm water, then drink the fresh green tea, the benefits are endless with the fresh herbs tea! I'm not going to say its my favorite taste, but once I add some fresh chocolate peppermint and spearmint, maybe honey, it's pretty tasty. :) Thank you again for sharing that, book, I'm going to look it up...

NorthStrongFree

Yes, the ability of plants to heal or hurt is amazing! It's like an allegory for humans and our sin nature! We're created in the image of God to reflect his Glory, but because of Adam's sin handed down through us, we mar most things we touch! I love learning about plants and how they can heal, and what is poisonous and to stay away from. I have a small garden (4x12) but we live on 1.5 acres and a lot of stuff grows naturally there. I grow peppermint for tea through the winter, and I've learned through local Native history that cedar leaves are high in vitamin C and were used as a tea to treat the Europeans for scurvy when they first settled here. Also, the needles of the White Pine can be boiled into a tea and can cure/aid in the healing of colds in winter.

I like the plantain because its so easy and not super strong tasting, so it can be masked with honey and lemon well. It's also so plentiful and easy to find, which is a huge plus. I am not very interested in having to make my own tinctures and salves. I have food allergies and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because of that, so I tend to buy my remedies online. I like Swedish Bitters (I buy one called Maria's Swedish Bitters - made with the recipe in the book I recommended!), St John's wort, and I use a lot of essential oils.

There is an herb farm close to me that I'd like to connect with and possibly tour in the spring! I will make a note of your book recommendation and look it up, too :) Thank you!

lilbearsmama

I'd be happy to share - it uses essential oils too, which I have found very useful. Arnica is an herb that really helps her pain. I use beeswax or cocoa butter or shea butter as the base due to her skin being so sensitive and it's what I had, lol

Angcobb28

Oh, that's really a wonderful advantage, an herb farm not far from your place! That will be a blessing for you! :)

I never really wanted to do tinctures or salves, either, but I do like the salve the Mennonite family sold us, and I have the beef tallow now, so I thought it would be nice to try making one of my own. We have a white willow tree growing in the watery part of our yard, which the bark is great for pain medication, so I might try my hand at it and see if it helps, along with herbal teas and essential oils we take.

Do you enjoy being in the kitchen? Do you ferment (like AVC, Kombucha, kefir, krauts), sprout grains, beans, seeds or do sourdough breads? We have issues in our family with grains and sugar, all the stuff I could eat when I was a kid and get away with it, but now... not so much! So I'm learning to cook more ancient ways.

I've been following a Christian lady, Wardee Harmon, owner of the Traditional Cooking school blog and online school and #AskWardee Youtube channel. She has helped me with learning all these things, above and is really helping me cook food in a way our ancestors did, to get the most nutrition from our foods. I just watched her sourdough starter youtube video and hopefully I will have my first wild yeast sourdough starter for making healthier, more nutritious breads, muffins, pancakes, etc. I already have been trying my hand at soaking and sprouting grains, nuts, seeds and beans, but also baked goods. I didn't know this, but unless grains are soaked (in a vinegar or similar acidic environment), or sprouted, the phytic acid in the grains will stick to the nutrients and minerals in our food and rob our digestion in the process, so we lose out unless the plants vitamins and nutrients are unlocked, we gain nothing, unless sprouting or soaking occurs. That was news to me, I really like my breads, etc, etc.

The Bitter's, I just saw a post on those as well, from the lady I just spoke about. I want to learn more about that, too! The learning is endless, but so interesting! I hope we talk again, thank you for sharing, it's nice to know some other ladies are on this journey, along with how it blesses our homeschool lives! I know only a couple of people who are into herbs and homeschooling, so it's nice to meet you ladies! Many blessings to you and your family!

Angcobb28

I'd be happy to share - it uses essential oils too, which I have found very useful. Arnica is an herb that really helps her pain. I use beeswax or cocoa butter or shea butter as the base due to her skin being so sensitive and it's what I had, lol
Yes, okay, I was thinking those bases, so I'll have to try my hand at this and see what I get! Beeswax will be a little pricey, I always try to go for what's free (foraging) or a good deal, so I'll have to look into prices. We have a white willow in the backyard, so I'm to take some of that and I'll buy some arnica essential oil to try it out. If it works, I'll be trying more salve, my hubby is a tough one to prove stuff on, though thankfully, he's totally on board (these days, a couple years ago, it wasn't so!).

momschool

I have dabbled in natural healing for years but you sound much more informed than I am, lol! There is a website I use and love it's called Herbal legacy, there is so much information on it! I have used it countless times and am considering doing one of the classes they have in their school to learn more about natural healing.

Angcobb28

I have dabbled in natural healing for years but you sound much more informed than I am, lol! There is a website I use and love it's called Herbal legacy, there is so much information on it! I have used it countless times and am considering doing one of the classes they have in their school to learn more about natural healing.
Hello! I really feel like the tortoise, "slow and steady...", in my learning these natural methods. The Holy Spirit has told me to keep it simple, the Lord knows once I learn something, I will research way too much and overwhelm myself with information. So now I spend more time asking the Holy Spirit questions. Slowly, but surely I am learning and getting to understand just a couple things at a time. I notice for myself, if I add to my repertoire a few things a year, and really focus on just studying and practicing those for awhile, I can thoroughly develop in those areas, then move on when I've mastered them. Plus, being a homeschool mom, I use this education for so many areas of our schooling needs. My oldest daughter, Faith, loves the study of nature now and will help my husband go outside and collect the green herbs (when it's still green, and not snowed over) to make our fresh green teas. So it's really helped in our homeschool, but also life skills for her future!

I have never heard of the Herbal Legacy website, so I'll have to check that out, thank you! I have heard of the Herbal Academy and we follow the LearningHerbs.com newsletter, they have a game for kids, that we own, called, "Wildcraft", where the kids start out on the board, at their grandmas house and go on a hike, to find huckleberries. The game is about them working together, because along the way they will run into certain troubles (i.e. hunger, a rash, a bruise, bee sting, and a multitude of other issues), so they have to use their knowledge of medicinal and edible plants to help them make it to the huckleberry patch and back to grandmas house! My kids actually have enjoyed the game, and learning about the herbs we use every day! A homeschool PLUS! ;)

What are some of the things, in the area of natural healing, are you working on at this time?

Angcobb28

Hello! I went and checked out Maria Treben's book, she has amazing testimonials of what God's herbs do for the body in healing, anything short of "miracles", were almost every response from the coventional doctor's who were amazed by their patient's "sudden" turnarounds in so many cancer patients! OMG! I'm glad you shared, I'm ordering her book... once I talk to my hubby tonight! lol! Thank you, again! :)

NorthStrongFree

Hello! I went and checked out Maria Treben's book, she has amazing testimonials of what God's herbs do for the body in healing, anything short of "miracles", were almost every response from the coventional doctor's who were amazed by their patient's "sudden" turnarounds in so many cancer patients! OMG! I'm glad you shared, I'm ordering her book... once I talk to my hubby tonight! lol! Thank you, again! :)
Hey! Congrats on the giveaway win! How exciting! I am so glad you were able to check out Treben's book. Did you get to order it? I am getting in the mood for studying again as we come to the second half of winter up here in Canada! haha... Cheers!

Angcobb28

Hey! Congrats on the giveaway win! How exciting! I am so glad you were able to check out Treben's book. Did you get to order it? I am getting in the mood for studying again as we come to the second half of winter up here in Canada! haha... Cheers!
Hello! Thank you! And yes, I just got her book in the mail this week!! Yay! I've already been diving right in, to reading her stories! Lol, I hear ya with winter, everyone at my husbands work has been under the weather, so we're drinking more tea and tonics. I love how Maria says, in the chapter on Bedstraw (cleavers), "Certainly it is not the herbs alone that bring help; it is God Almighty who assists in it. Finally everything lies in God's hands!" Powerful statement, but also I'm thankful for the many powerful ways He heals!;):love: I hope you're all well and enjoying a break from wind chills!? Today has been our coldest, so far, this winter! :cautious::eek:

Mandy2545

Hi! I don't know if you live near the Mennonite farm in Delano, TN but they have an awesome little booklet of what plants they use for what sicknesses. If I remember correctly, I paid maybe 50 cents for it. It's a great source!