2e kiddo

lilbearsmama

Hello!

Does anyone else have a 2E child? My husband was found to have Asperger's syndrome (Now just called High Functioning Autism) when he went for counseling regarding his horrible anxiety and a few other issues. My son's speech therapist and the lovely doctor who supports us doing things more our own way both went - that explains your son!!!

My son also has high functioning autism co-morbid with dyspraxia and anxiety. At this point, I pretty do all his therapies myself (physical, occupational, speech) with checkups every few months. He's mostly aged out of anything available, and while all of them are aware of it, no one ever had him do those hours of testing for that piece of paper. The one attempt we made it to Atlanta only to be told that he's too "friendly and social" to be autistic and the man refused to even test him and yelled at me for wasting my time.

He's only 11, so at this point it's fine and lots can change in later years, but I do dread when we may need to get that paper trail for colleges. Apparently, unless it's from a neuropsych or the autism center (where I got yelled at) it isn't accepted as a "proper" issue. Or so I've been told by experts.

Anyone else have a kiddo who keeps them on their toes and doctors who exhaust them?

insanomumma

hi there my youngest is add and gifted we thought it was autism as he presented like his two middle siblings with autism but they said no add and super high iq he is only 5 and we have decided to stay un medicated for time being as he has celiac disease and is dairy lactose free he keeps us on our toes with what he wants to know and learn and he is full on doesn't fall asleep easy and just always on the move he is normally found in handstand postistion gaming on his iPad he is so so different to his older three siblings

Dana

I'm the mom of 8 of my 8 5 are on the Autism spectrum . They range in age from 33 yrs - 8 yrs When my kids got their DX they didn't have levels. They are considered high functioning. The anxiety and attentional issues that I hear people speak about separately were at one point considered part of the ASD Dx because they are rooted in the Autism opposed to NT people and how they experience the same issues. Yes I have many that keep me on my toes and I have also said the hardest part of having a special needs child is not the Dx it's the doctors and professionals who come along with it.

homeschoolmomof3

My 11 year old son has autism, adhd, ocd , spd and episodic mood disorder. I got his diagnosis from a psychologist. Where we live it it is advantageous to have the diagnosis for services. One service is the Innovations Waiver which provides many things. I also have a 9 year old with dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalcula. We just started private occupational therapy for both kids and my daughter is being referred to a developmental optometrist and pediatrician. Hoping for the best we keep plugging along.

homeschoolmomof3

Hello!

Does anyone else have a 2E child? My husband was found to have Asperger's syndrome (Now just called High Functioning Autism) when he went for counseling regarding his horrible anxiety and a few other issues. My son's speech therapist and the lovely doctor who supports us doing things more our own way both went - that explains your son!!!

My son also has high functioning autism co-morbid with dyspraxia and anxiety. At this point, I pretty do all his therapies myself (physical, occupational, speech) with checkups every few months. He's mostly aged out of anything available, and while all of them are aware of it, no one ever had him do those hours of testing for that piece of paper. The one attempt we made it to Atlanta only to be told that he's too "friendly and social" to be autistic and the man refused to even test him and yelled at me for wasting my time.

He's only 11, so at this point it's fine and lots can change in later years, but I do dread when we may need to get that paper trail for colleges. Apparently, unless it's from a neuropsych or the autism center (where I got yelled at) it isn't accepted as a "proper" issue. Or so I've been told by experts.

Anyone else have a kiddo who keeps them on their toes and doctors who exhaust them?
No one should be treated like that. That dr. should be ashamed of himself. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Just because someone is friendly does not mean they dont have autism. It is a spectrum after all.

Do we have kiddos who keep us on our toes and doctors who exhaust us?

Oh, sweetheart, you just defined my life in a few short words!

We had one child who died of biliary artresia because the one test they gave for it was inconclusive. However, they yelled at me and threatened me with the ethics board if I stopped them from retesting for CF, NEC, and so forth. That was only child #5.
Child #2 was misdiagnosed as faking it when he had close vision delays. I wish I was kidding. The eye doctor told my husband that our son wanted to wear glasses like all the other kids in his class. Um, he was home educated, and nobody in our family wore glasses. :D He overheard the doctor saying the he was a fraud, so he strained his eyes for a year, afraid to reveal how hard it really was. The idiot doctor scared him. He likely is on the spectrum, and has dyslexia. It was hard enough for me to get close vision therapy for him. I wasn't going to wait, so I taught him at home according to his needs.

Child #3 finally found someone to dx him when he was on his own at 22. He is officially on the spectrum. He was the hardest child to parent. He could not identify emotions. His responses and opinions would change from week to week. He liked something one week, and hated it the next week. He couldn't figure out why. People pegged him as a manic liar, and a deeply depressed individual. He is doing so much better now that he understands why things happen as well as how to regulate his emotions. He is in many ways, a self-taught survivor. I could go on and on with that, but I suspect that you understand.

Child #4 is sure to be on the spectrum and have ADHD. Again, I found it easier to accommodate at home than to fight doctors who only read what was on our family charts (I didn't know that I had been blackballed) from when I tried to fight for our 5th son's life. A doctor got in my face and told me that she would not let me leave her office until I explained why I refused to give shots to someone with two autoimmune diseases.

I never even asked about child #6. He has dysgraphia. His handwriting is improving. His short term memory is shot. He can't focus on many subjects at once. In spite of the writing challenges, he insists on typing out study questions for history and writiing by hand for creative writing so that he can improve himself.

I'm done fighting with people who think that a degree on the wall means they have reached perfection. I want to be an spokeswoman for Jesus. I want His attitude to shine through me. I refuse to hate doctors. I just don't have the time or energy to help them see that they might be missing things.

Last edited:

SherylF

I have an 11 year old son who has been diagnosed with ASD, OCD, ADHD, SPD, Dysgraphia, Anxiety. When they gave us their plan, we decided to go it on our own. We have read up on his symptoms and taken the advice of many autism moms and therapists who have been really helpful. We've been blessed with a couple of groups with leaders who are willing to be ok with his eccentricities and work with him. In "4th grade" we rebuilt his curriculum mix and match to meet him when he was then and we continue to evolve it with him now. It runs about 2nd grade to 9th grade depending on the subject. It is absolutely exhausting but he's doing well. We just have very little support as he is the only one in any of our circles in this boat.

SherylF

Hello!

Mine is 11 as well. I posted in the thread. He is diagnosed with ASD, ADHD, OCD, SPD, Disgraphia, and anxiety. We're basically going it on our own.

E.katy Tx

Hello!

Hello, everyone I have an 8 yr. Old with ASD.

E.katy Tx

Hello, I just joined today! Happy to have a form that's excepting. I too have been homeschooling for 2 yrs. an 8 yr.old with ASD. Would you mind sharing with me, your home school jorney and some curriculums that work for your child with ASD? Thank you

Rachel

I have three 2e kids. Severe Dyslexia with all, one with ADHD, one with SPD, and all three gifted. It’s intense and exhausting..... and pretty awesome.